Student visa from outside Canada

Student visa from outside Canada

Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.

Get your documents ready

When you apply, you should submit

  1. a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) you’ll be attending
    –> If you’re under 18 and coming from outside Canada to study, you must study at a DLI with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan, unless you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
  2. As many of the documents needed for a complete application as possible
    –> We won’t be able to finalize your study permit until you’ve submitted a complete application.
    –> Waiting to submit documents will cause delays in processing.
  3. a letter of explanation for any documents that are missing due to COVID-19

If you plan to study in Quebec, you must provide a valid Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) or your letter of approval for your CAQ.

Apply online

If you’re applying for a study permit, you must apply online, whether you’re outside of Canada or already in Canada.

You’re only eligible to apply on paper if you

  • have a disability that prevents you from applying online
  • hold an identity or travel document for non-national residents, refugees or stateless persons
Select your currency
WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!
👋 Hi, how can I help?